Small pieces of code to make your online life a little easier.
Recent addition: a substitute generic FeedFlare, configured by changing the URL parameters.
These bits are sorted by the site(s) they affect. How they work varies depending on the type of script.
If a link is broken, you can always look for the file you want in here. Please contact me with any questions or improvements you may have.
Universal Edit Button for Opera
You want the Universal Edit Button extension for Opera (not my creation). If you are inexplicably running an old version of Opera or just want to see my code, the old UserJS scripts are still around.
- - A static FeedFlare unit that links to the previous item (if any) by title.
- - A static FeedFlare unit that links to the next item (if any) by title.
- - Configure it by changing the text and link parameters to the ones you want.
Unless otherwise noted, these are userstyles that can be applied either as CSS or as Greasemonkey scripts. Most-to-all of these can affect either, both, or other LJ codebase sites simply by editing them to switch each instance of "insanejournal.com" or "livejournal.com" to the domain name you want.
- - A Greasemonkey script that adds UEB support to Livejournal sites. Also available in separate Dreamwidth flavor.
- - Recolours the InsaneJournal portal from light peach to dark grey to reduce eyestrain. Intended for use with New Tweak, IJ's default site theme, but looks fine with most light-coloured themes (like Insanime, Clean, Lynx, and Opal Cat).
- - Recolours the InsaneJournal.com portal from peach to subtly graded blue. Intended for use with New Tweak, IJ's default site theme, but works with them all. IJ Skins Class Adder not required.
- - Greasemonkey. Only tested in Opera. Opera users, if you save these as *.js instead of *.user.js, they'll work a little faster (but they'll work either way). Appends ?format=light or &format=light on all individual entry pages on LJ/IJ unless excluded. Instead of rewriting many links you aren't going to click, this only takes effect when you visit an IJ entry page. It quickly redirects a non-light IJ entry page to its format=light equivalent. In Opera, it also removes the non-light page from the Back button history, so you can Back up without triggering the redirect time and again.
These tweaks require editing your entry template with the code provided.
Permalinks - create a link, using the following code as the URL:
"Save to favourites" links
LiveJournal has "save to memories" on every entry. Why not DiaryLand?
Create a link, using the following code as the URL:
If a logged-in Diarylander clicks that link, the entry will be added to their Diaryland favourites page; if they aren't logged in or aren't a Diaryland member, the link will take them to the login page.
You don't need these anymore. The sites they worked with have changed for the better. I just keep these for nostalgia.
UEB for old versions of Opera
- - When viewing a page that can be edited through the UEB, a blue gear icon appears in the address bar. The user can edit the page by clicking first the gear, then "UEB:" item. Alternatively, the bookmark or button below can be used for one-click editing.
- - A UserJS script that changes the page favicon to the UEB icon if the page can be edited via UEB. This makes it even easier to tell that a page can be edited.
- - Should work in any browser. This was not created by me; Antimatter15 provided the code on the UEB wiki. I merely made it a link here to make it simpler to install.
- - same as the bookmarklet above, but I turned it into a custom Opera button. Click it or drag it to your Opera toolbar.
Types of files
- Template edits are code you add directly to your template.
- Greasemonkey scripts run within Firefox and other browsers.
- UserJS scripts run within Opera. They do not work in other browsers.